Today [Oct. 23, 2008], Microsoft lifts the curtain on “Last Day,” a 60 second ad spot for the highly anticipated Xbox 360 exclusive, “Gears of War 2.” The ad will premier today on Yahoo! Games online, followed by a roll out on movie and TV screens worldwide. The spot shows the last precious moments that Marcus Fenix and other members of the intrepid Delta Squad spend above ground as they prepare for the most important battle of their lives – the battle for humanity’s very survival.
The “Last Day” ad will air in 15 countries. A selection of programming includes:
* U.S. – Nov. 2 during the NFL’s Sunday Night Football presentation of the New England Patriots at the Indianapolis Colts on NBC
* Canada – Nov. 3 during the NFL’s Monday Night Football presentation of the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Washington Redskins
* France – Nov. 3 on Sci Fi Channel and MTV
* Mexico – Nov. 3 on FX, FOX and CVM networks during prime time programming
* Australia – Nov. 4 during The Simpsons on FOX 8, Nov. 7 on MTV during the 2008 MTV Europe Music Awards and Nov. 10 during American Chopper on the Discovery Channel
* United Kingdom – Cinema spots including films such as Saw V and Max Payne; TV spots on Dec. 1 during The Simpsons on Sky One and Dec. 2 on Sky Sports 1 during Carling Cup Football
*Check local listings for program broadcast times
“Last Day” features the hauntingly beautiful music track, “How it Ends,” by indie rock band DeVotchKa, which can be found on Zune Marketplace. The ad spot was created entirely within Unreal Engine 3, the same graphics engine technology used in the “Gears of War” franchise.
Microsoft and Epic Games partnered with ad agency T.A.G SF, special effects house Digital Domain and director Joseph Kosinski, the same collaborative team that created the award-winning “Mad World” (2006) television commercial for the original “Gears of War” campaign.
The battle begins Nov. 7.