Hace unas horas, Sony envió la siguiente información a la prensa que muestra cómo es que el 2009 fue un gran año para su consola principal. Fue un año muy exitoso para ellos y para el resto de la industria y, sobre todo durante los días festivos de finales de año. Sony, por supuesto, tuvo que bajar el precio de la PS3 para lograr su objetivo, y la empresa parece ser muy feliz ahora.
2009: A Great Year for PS3
PlayStation Brand Revenue
- The PlayStation brand generated more than $5.1 billion in revenue in the US for 2009, a 26% share of the total video game industry revenue for 2009
- PS3 sold 1.35 million hardware units in December 2009 in the US, which represents an 87% increase when compared to December 2008
- PS3 hardware was the only home console to see double digit growth of 22% for the calendar year of 2009 (4.3 million total) when compared to the calendar year of 2008 (3.5 million total)
- December 2009 marks the single highest selling month for PS3 hardware and software in the US.
- PSP hardware also saw an increase of more than 122% from November to December 2009, making it a popular holiday gift item
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for PS3 was ranked in the top five software skus for December 2009
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 topped PS3 software for the calendar year of 2009 with a total of 2.8 million units sold to date, followed by Madden NFL 10 and Assassin’s Creed II for PS3
- UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves has surpassed 1 million units in North America* with more than 950k units reported by NPD in the U.S. since launch
- December 2009 also marked PlayStation Network’s single highest revenue month, jumping 155% from December 2008 in North America *
- The highest activity for the month of December on PlayStation Network was Christmas Day
- PS one classic game FINAL FANTASY VIII took top honors as the most downloaded “game” of December, followed by the PlayStation Network exclusivePixelJunk Shooter *
- We also saw incremental sales driven by great add-on content such as the Call of Duty: World at War Map Packs, which took the top 3 paid downloads for the calendar year of 2009 *
2009 Top Ten Paid Downloads on PlayStation Network*