SANTA MONICA, Calif., Oct 25, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ — Legendary skateboarder Tony Hawk and the Anthem Blue Cross Live Like a Champion Tour rolled into Hollenbeck Middle School in Los Angeles today to teach students the importance of eating healthy and staying active in a fun, interactive way. In honor of the Live Like a Champion Tour’s fifth anniversary, the nine-time X Games gold medalist made an appearance at the school to debut his new addition to the tour, “Tony Hawk SHRED Like a Champion,” and to demo the interactive video game with students.
The “Tony Hawk SHRED Like a Champion” activity allows players to GO BIG and feel the exhilaration of supersized skate and snowboarding using the game’s innovative motion-sensing board controller right at their feet. The new game from Activision Publishing Inc. is packed to the brim with larger-than-life moments and a veritable assortment of jaw-dropping tricks, which will encourage children to get off the couch and into action.
“‘Tony Hawk SHRED Like a Champion’ is a great opportunity to engage kids in a different kind of physical activity,” said Tony Hawk. “As a member of the California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, I am committed to promoting active lifestyles, which is why having Tony Hawk SHRED as a fixture on the Live Like a Champion Tour is such a fantastic honor. It means a lot to be able to share the sports I love with children across the state of California.”
Live Like a Champion is an award-winning initiative between the California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports and Anthem Blue Cross. The Live Like a Champion Tour is a statewide traveling community outreach campaign that encourages children to become physically active and empowers them to make healthy lifestyle choices now and in the future. The tour features interactive games and challenging sports-themed activities that encourage children to bring out their “inner champion.”
A select group of Governor’s Council celebrity athletes lend their support to the Live Like a Champion Tour to help raise awareness and promote physical fitness for all Californians. These California athletes serve as role models, and their favorite exercises, fruits and vegetables are shared on life-size posters throughout the event-site.
“For the past five years, the Live Like a Champion Tour has been a great way for me and my fellow Council members to encourage children to get out and get moving,” said Jake Steinfeld, Chairman of the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. “‘Tony Hawk SHRED Like a Champion’ allows Tony to share his passion for the sport of skateboarding with thousands of children across the state and it motivates them to participate in a variety of sports and physical activities that will keep them active and healthy.”
The tour is traveling to schools, local community and special events, YMCAs, Boys and Girls Clubs and other after-school program locations throughout the state of California. Special effort is focused on reaching out to the state’s underserved communities.
Athletes and their event experiences include:
- Olympic-Style Opening Ceremony: Children pledge to put down the remote and get active.
- Tony Hawk’s SHRED Like a Champion: Inspired by the legendary skateboarder, this interactive area challenges children to GO BIG and feel the exhilaration of supersized skate and snowboarding using the game’s innovative, motion-sensing board controller.
- Laila Ali’s Champ Corner: Inspired by world champion athlete Laila Ali, children simulate a champion boxer’s traditional conditioning exercises — running in place, jumping rope, doing chin-ups and tapping a speed bag — and it is all within an exciting partial boxing ring.
- Misty May-Treanor’s Dig. Set. Spike Like a Champion: Inspired by Olympic volleyball champion Misty May-Treanor, children step up to the net and learn how to dig, set, and spike a volleyball as another way to be active and have fun.
- Jerry Rice’s Catch Like a Champion: Inspired by Super Bowl champion Jerry Rice, children make the winning catch in the end zone by diving onto an inflatable mat while hearing messages encouraging 30-60 minutes of physical activity a day.
- Lisa Leslie’s Hoop Like a Champion: Inspired by Olympic basketball champion Lisa Leslie, children shoot to score by attempting different basketball shots with various colored balls representing different healthy foods children should be eating each day (carrots, broccoli, yogurt, milk, tomatoes, etc.)
- Julie Foudy’s Kick Like a Champion: Inspired by World Cup champion Julie Foudy, children shoot multicolored soccer balls representing fruits and vegetables into a soccer goal to learn the importance of a balanced diet.
- Bobby Martinez’s Board Like a Champion: Inspired by champion surfer Bobby Martinez, children ride the waves of one of California’s most popular sports by getting up on a mechanically-operated surfboard, and “Hanging Ten” while testing their balance on this challenging activity.
- Closing Ceremony: Children engage in post-activity stretch exercises and join in an award ceremony, declaring all who participated champions.
Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Anthem Blue Cross and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Association. (R) ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross Association.
The California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to promoting physical activity for all Californians with an emphasis on children and youth. Governor Schwarzenegger is the Honorary Chairman and Council members include Chairman Jake Steinfeld, Vice Chairman Peter Vidmar, and California sports legends such as Tony Hawk, Misty May-Treanor, Laila Ali and Jerry Rice. Governor’s Council key initiatives include the Governor’s Challenge, the Governor’s Council Spotlight Awards presented by the Anthem Blue Cross Foundation, the Live Like a Champion Tour powered by Anthem Blue Cross and Exercise is Medicine. Founding sponsors are Anthem Blue Cross Foundation and Kaiser Permanente. Other sponsors include the Coca-Cola Company, CVS/pharmacy and General Mills. For more information, visit www.CalGovCouncil.org
Tony Hawk, Inc. is a world leader in its field with the unprecedented ability to bring alternative sports and their unique lifestyle to the masses while maintaining an indispensable edge of authenticity with the market’s hard-core, trendsetting audience. Founded by Tony Hawk in 1998 and based in Vista, CA, the company is organized into five segments: Merchandising, Events, Endorsements, Film and Digital Media. These lifestyle sports include skateboarding, BMX, Motocross, surfing and snowboarding. Consumer goods bearing the Tony Hawk brand have dominated several markets, including interactive games, skateboard hard goods, lifestyle apparel, toys, publications and more.
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Publishing, Inc. is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and leisure products.
Activision maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, South Korea, China and the region of Taiwan. More information about Activision and its products can be found on the company’s website, www.activision.com.
SOURCE Activision Publishing, Inc.