This post is also available in / Esta entrada está disponible también en: Spanish (Español) .
Harmonix has introduced us players today a sneak peek of a brand-new way to play arena first-person shooter games. According to its web site, Chroma, Harmonix’s newest game is a “fast-paced PC shooter action with music-driven gameplay.”
The title is being made by Harmonix and Hidden Path Entertainment, the developers behind Counter-Strike Global Offensive for Valve’s Steam. In this game, music is the main ingredient of the action in this free-to-play title.
Though there is no showing of gameplay, players will be able to experience an alpha version of the title via Steam later this month. Players can already sign up for the alpha version at PlayChroma.com.
“At Hidden Path Entertainment we were delighted to help Harmonix realize their dream of a musical shooter, and are looking forward to the next step – seeing it continue to evolve with the energy, input and creativity from the game community!” said Mark Terrano, Chief Creative Officer/Founder of Hidden Path Entertainment.
Here are some details of the main game’s key features (taken from its web site and press release):
Key game features:
- Music-driven FPS gameplay – Music matters. Chroma features innovative first-person shooter mechanics that tie the game’s soundtrack directly to combat, traversal, and more.
- Music is your weapon – Unleash streams of sound and music with your arsenal and bring the musical landscape to life in battle! From deep wobbling bass to the crunch of an electric guitar, crushing metal drums to poppy synths, choose a weapon load-out that reflects your musical tastes and personal style and take your sounds into battle.
- Band together – Your team is your band: Join up with your friends and battle for glory.. Master multiple classes, each with their own unique musical gameplay mechanics and perks, and lead your team to victory.
- Conquer shifting terrain – “Change Ups” at major musical moments dramatically alter the landscape of the battlefield in real time both physically and strategically, raising sniper towers, adding cover, and more in sync with the music.
- Free-to-play, but not “pay-to-win” – Free to jump in and play with deep customization, but smartly designed to preserve a fun and fair experience for all players.
Selected players for the alpha version will get access to a private forum to discuss and share their experiences with the people in charge of the game’s development.
Q: Would you try this game’s alpha version?