This post is also available in / Esta entrada está disponible también en: Spanish (Español) .
The removal of The Interview from major cinema theater chains is not enough to bring an end to the release of the controverisal comedy film. After the hack to Sony Pictures’ computer network and the threats from the hackers themselves, major movie theaters chains decided not to show the film. The outcome caused Sony to withdraw the premiere of the film entirely. However, a few small, independant cinema chains have decided to launch the film anyway, with Sony Pictures’ blessing.
Two small cinema chains in Austin and Atlanta mentioned the upcoming showing of the film: The Alamo Drafthouse and Plaza Atlanta. One tweeted:
Breaking news: Sony has authorized screenings of THE INTERVIEW on Christmas Day. We are making shows available within the hour. #Victory
— Tim League (@timalamo) December 23, 2014
Seth Rogen, one of the main actors in the film, also tweeted about Sony’s latest decision.
The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn't give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) December 23, 2014
Michael Lynton, CEO of Sony Entertainment, said: “We have never given up. We are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience.” So far, over 200 cinemas have secured the film’s showing.
President Obama had previously said the company’s initial decision to remove the film was “a mistake,” but the White House complemented Sony’s reversal today.