This post is also available in / Esta entrada está disponible también en: Spanish (Español) .
A few days ago, Chevrolet introduced its all-new 2016 Chevrolet Cruze, an efficient, secure, compact car featuring support for telematics standards Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, making it easier to access features from a Google or Apple device with Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system.
With MyLink, Android Auto will let car owners use Google Maps, Google Now, and other audio and messaging apps such as Skype, Spotify, WhatsApp. AA will also let people talk to Google and offer other features people use on their smartphones.
For iOS users, the Apple CarPlay offer various features such as making phone calls, listening to music, sending and receiving messages, and more, with the use of Apple and other third-party apps (including MLB.com, CBS Radio, Rdio, Beats Music, iHeartRadio, Spotify and more).
“For most of us, our smartphones are essential,” mentioned Mary Barra, General Motors CEO. “Partnering with Apple and Google to offer CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility across the widest range of models in the industry is a great example of how Chebrolet continues to democratize technology that’s important to our customers.”
Chevrolet continues to attract prospective car owners interested in technology as it was the first auto company to bring OnStar 4G LTE connectivity to various types of vehicles. This new Cruze is also one of the 14 models that will include the 8-inch MyLink; other seven models will feature the 7-inch version of the infotainment system.
Google users will need an Android device with Lollipop 5.0, while iOS users will just need an Apple device with iOS 5.0 or higher.
Besides the tech features included in the 2016 model of Cruze, General Motors shared the following info about the automobile:
- All-new, standard 1.4L turbo engine with direct injection offers a GM-estimated 40 mpg highway; stop/start technology contributes to efficiency in stop-and-go driving
- Advanced safety features include Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist and Forward Collision Alert
- On sale in the U.S. in early 2016; diesel model follows in 2017
- New 1.4L turbo engine with direct injection and stop/start technology matched with a standard six-speed manual or available six-speed automatic transmission (North America)
- Maximum highway range of 530 miles per tank
- All-new, stronger and lighter body structure enhances agility, efficiency and safety – with an approximately 250-pound (113 kg) lower curb weight
- Class-leading 106.3-inch (2,700 mm) wheelbase enhances roominess, contributing to greater rear-seat legroom and more rear knee room
- Projector headlamps with light-emitting diode (LED) signature lighting – and LED daytime running lamps on uplevel models
- More standard features than most competitors’ small cars such as 10 air bags, four-wheel disc brakes, rearview camera and available OnStar 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot
- New, available features including wireless phone charging, heated rear leather seats and heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Available advanced safety features include Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist and Forward Collision Alert
- New model range for North America including L, LS, LT and Premier – and a more expressive RS package.
[Source]: GM: Sophisticated Sophomore: All-New 2016 Chevrolet Cruze; Press Releases.