This post is also available in / Esta entrada está disponible también en: Spanish (Español) .
The Force is definitively with the latest sequel of the sci-fi franchise as Star Wars: The Force Awakens smashes box office records, including an estimated $238 million in the US (beating Jurassic World’s 208.8 million).
The film has established many new records in the US and around the world, including:
In the US:
- Highest Thursday preview earnings: $57M vs Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 at $43.5M
- Single-day, Friday gross and first film to reach $100M in one day: $120.5 millions vs Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 at $91.1M.
- Biggest opening weekend in: Australia: $18.9 million; Germany: $27.3 million; Russia: $12.3 million
- International Opening weekend: $279 millones
- Total Global earnings: $517 millones (it does not include gross earnings from China where the film will be released in January).
[Sources]: New York Times: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakrens’ Shatters Box Office; Endgadget: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ broke several movie records.